concealed weapons permit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concealed weapons permit

Just received my Georgia concealed weapons permit--$60 for 5-years and took 2-weeks for them to process the application. (I carry either a Glock 23 or 27). Just wondering what you guys (and gals) have in other states in the way of a state gun permit. Just being noisy.......................................

I've thought about it, but here in Texas you can carry in your car if it's concealed. I usually just lay it in the seat beside me with a coat over it. I don't see a need to carry in a restaurant or store. I hope I never regret that decision.
    -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

That is actually a good question. I honestly dont know. Like Hog said, most southern states respect your vehicle as an extension of your home and you can carry any way you wish there. Public, of course is a different story.

I assume the permit came with the "dos and donts". It gives you the ok to carry concealed, but there are still places where you are not allowed to carry. Know where and, in my opinion, those are the places it should be kept best hidden.

As a LEO I was able to carry mine concealed anywhere I wished. (excluding the obvious places) After I left, I never felt so exposed as when I was no longer able to stay armed. I guess I never pursued the permit to make myself get over that feeling. I dont know.
      All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

The state of South Dakota issues a permit good for 4 years. Cost $10. Takes roughly 15 minutes to process your application and run the background check. Once this is done the clerk at the Sheriff's office will fill out your temporary permit, and you're now cleared hot to carry a concealed weapon. Around 2-3 weeks later your permanent permit comes in the mail from the Attorney General's office.

This allows for you to carry concealed and in your vehicle. The permit also relieves you of the need to wait 7 days for permits to purchase a handgun. So you can buy handguns just like you would a long gun, basically cash and carry.

Overall $10 well spent.

Comment

I have had my conceal carry permit a few years now. In Missouri, you have to attend a class, qualify on the range, and pass a background check for your permit. And honestly, if you cannot pass the range test, you shouldn't be handling a handgun anyway. One just has to put 15 of 20 rounds in a silhouette target from 7 yards.

Missouri has worked hard to improve their gun rights. You can carry concealed in your car as long as you are 21+ without a permit. We passed the castle doctrine not long ago. And the Missouri conceal carry permit is honored in, I believe, more states than any other permit. I would like to see the state laws standardized and nationwide reciprocity. Open carry is legal in Missouri, but the state lacks preemption.

I usually carry one of three guns when I do carry - Glock 30 (45 cal), Glock 22 (40 cal), or a 38 special. Generally carry the Glock 30 since I installed night sights.
          Last edited by Zeb; 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Pennsylvania CC Permits are good for 5 yrs and cost $50, the application process to the time you receive it in my area is 7 - 10 days on average. PA has reciprocity agreements with Florida, Kentucky, Wyoming, Georgia, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Texas, and Michigan, and are working on agreements with Virginia and West Virginia. VA and WV recognize PA permits, as well as AK, AR, AZ, CO, FL, ID, IN, LA,MO, ND, OK, SD, TN, UT, and VT. All others States do not recognize the permit. Aside from that PA is very liberal as far as concealed carry. You can purchase a Sportsman's Permit which allows you to hunt in PA with a Handgun, but not concealed, and applies to any State.
            "If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it must be electrical"

Comment

Virginia's particulars I do not know, but CC's are not brain surgery to get. If you hide your piece in any way you had better have said permit, and otherwise we are an open carry state. You can walk around loaded for bear as long as your bits are in plain view, but tuck your piece behind your belt, and you need that paper. Storage in a vehicle is permissible if it is unloaded and the ammo in a separate place, and having the bolt out or some other level of disassembly is good too. I don't have a CC, and if I am going out in public armed I keep it all out. CC or none you must always respect the owners rules on private property, for example the local tavern demands you check your weapons at the door, or just don't bring 'em.
              sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb View Post
                I have had my conceal carry permit a few years now. In Missouri, you have to attend a class, qualify on the range, and pass a background check for your permit. And honestly, if you cannot pass the range test, you shouldn't be handling a handgun anyway. One just has to put 15 of 20 rounds in a silhouette target from 7 yards.

Missouri has worked hard to improve their gun rights. You can carry concealed in your car as long as you are 21+ without a permit. We passed the castle doctrine not long ago. And the Missouri conceal carry permit is honored in, I believe, more states than any other permit. I would like to see the state laws standardized and nationwide reciprocity. Open carry is legal in Missouri, but the state lacks preemption.

I usually carry one of three guns when I do carry - Glock 30 (45 cal), Glock 22 (40 cal), or a 38 special. Generally carry the Glock 30 since I installed night sights.
                When I lived in Missouri I took that class and range test, but moved to South Dakota before the permit could be processed. The range test was a joke, but then again I have been an active competitive shooter for awhile and at that time in 2006 I was a really active shooter.

Comment

One other provision in South Dakota that is important for some is the ability of a permit holder to carry a handgun while hunting archery or muzzle loader seasons. This could be a life saver for those of us that live in big cat country like the Black Hills.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                    Virginia's particulars I do not know, but CC's are not brain surgery to get. If you hide your piece in any way you had better have said permit, and otherwise we are an open carry state. You can walk around loaded for bear as long as your bits are in plain view, but tuck your piece behind your belt, and you need that paper. Storage in a vehicle is permissible if it is unloaded and the ammo in a separate place, and having the bolt out or some other level of disassembly is good too. I don't have a CC, and if I am going out in public armed I keep it all out. CC or none you must always respect the owners rules on private property, for example the local tavern demands you check your weapons at the door, or just don't bring 'em.
                    I was always told the same thing about MS also. Personally, I found that part to be rediculous and against the spirit of the open carry. But, I did not know of any precedent for it either. I used my own judgement. If I could see it, I considered it exposed. The way some officers viewed it would make holsters, belts, etc etc in violation. I guess the only way they felt it was open carry was to carry it in your open palm?

Originally posted by Zeb View Post

Sadly, I am sure this part weeds out a few.

So, your saying that trying to "jack" you is not a great idea?
                    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

BOK, there is a lot of gray area over here.....having a piece in a holster is not considered concealment, and leaving a piece visible while behind your belt might be acceptable depending on where your are. The country is more tolerant than the cities for example.
                      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by Hansi View Post
                        Pennsylvania CC Permits are good for 5 yrs and cost $50, the application process to the time you receive it in my area is 7 - 10 days on average. PA has reciprocity agreements with Florida, Kentucky, Wyoming, Georgia, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Texas, and Michigan, and are working on agreements with Virginia and West Virginia. VA and WV recognize PA permits, as well as AK, AR, AZ, CO, FL, ID, IN, LA,MO, ND, OK, SD, TN, UT, and VT. All others States do not recognize the permit. Aside from that PA is very liberal as far as concealed carry. You can purchase a Sportsman's Permit which allows you to hunt in PA with a Handgun, but not concealed, and applies to any State.

I am sorry to inform you you are mistaken about SD we Honor any states CCP regardless.

However I choose open carry when I carry , And I carry a either a 357M or a 44M sometimes both. My wife however carries either her 38 special or 9mm on occasion she will carry my 357M . Mostly this is due to threat of large wildlife but a stupid felon would also do fine to.

Comment

Originally posted by Coal Hauler View Post
                          I am sorry to inform you you are mistaken about SD we Honor any states CCP regardless.

However I choose open carry when I carry , And I carry a either a 357M or a 44M sometimes both. My wife however carries either her 38 special or 9mm on occasion she will carry my 357M . Mostly this is due to threat of large wildlife but a stupid felon would also do fine to.
                          Thanks that is good to know. I was basing my info on the sheet I just got from the County Sheriff when I renewed my permit. That's why I love Dixie, and found it odd that they weren't listed.
                          "If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it must be electrical"

Comment

gunlaws.com - Virginia Gun Law Links or Handgunlaw.us
                            It's not difficult to surmise how we here feel about NS Officials; and my own proclivities are, well-known and often-lamented facts of union lore.-Alexander Supertramp
                            sigpic
                            Eventus stultorum magister.

Comment

I have had one here in NC since they started issuing them. I have three major carry guns (no not all at once). My favorite is a glock 27 ridding in a milt sparks inside the waist holster. The holster is expensive but the gun just disappears and is comfortable to carry all day. When dress requires something smaller I go with a S&W model 442 airweight in 38 special. I carry this in my front pocket in a Milka (ordered off the net for $18) handmade pocket holster. Then when I can't carry a gun I go with a seecamp in the 32 cal. The seecamp is a nice piece that is hand crafted, but is very ammo sensitive. I don't trust the 32. cal. but again the gun is very small and is better than holding your johnson in a bad situation. If any of you NC guys want to try out any of the above before making a decision give me a shout. I belong to a private range just off of 150 and would be glad to let you try them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X