Feral Hog Hunt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Hog Hunt

Seems I have been offered a trip to Texas to gun down some feral hogs, somewhere outa Abilene I believe. Now my problem is why are the hogs not edible or why don't you keep the meat? I really don't like killing stuff for the hell of it, and it seems like a waste of meat...Is it really that bad of meat?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
    Seems I have been offered a trip to Texas to gun down some feral hogs, somewhere outa Abilene I believe. Now my problem is why are the hogs not edible or why don't you keep the meat? I really don't like killing stuff for the hell of it, and it seems like a waste of meat...Is it really that bad of meat?
    Missouri has a 'shoot on sight' plea to all hunters with regard to feral hogs. Save some money in travel and just head south one state to shoot feral hogs.

They can carry disease, damage crops, endanger other livestock, and multiply quickly with large litters.

In Missouri, feral hogs may be taken in any number throughout the year. During most of the year, no permit is required and any method (including baiting and the use of dogs) is allowed. However, special restrictions apply during the fall firearms deer and turkey seasons. Refer to the current Fall Deer and Turkey Hunting Regulations for specific information.

The Conservation Department asks that all hunters who encounter a feral hog shoot it on sight. Doing so will reduce the feral hog population and keep the spread of this destructive pest in check.

Feral Hogs
    Last edited by Zeb; 09-06-2009, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Ya Cody has invited us there to hunt also...

Comment

I have a buddy here in LA that hunts hogs. He has even been asked by some land owners to hunt their property.

Of course he keeps them alive, takes them home and fattens them up beofre slaughtering them.

I never heard them to be uneatable.
        All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
          I have a buddy here in LA that hunts hogs. He has even been asked by some land owners to hunt their property.

Of course he keeps them alive, takes them home and fattens them up beofre slaughtering them.

I never heard them to be uneatable.
          Thats what we were told, shoot em an leave em lay...

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
            Thats what we were told, shoot em an leave em lay...
            Wouldnt scores of dead and rotting animals just bread disease?
            All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
              Wouldnt scores of dead and rotting animals just bread disease?
              Kinda what I'm thinking or lots more targets in the form of predators and scavengers...Of course I have seen domesticated hogs eating their own dead in the pen, so maybe they're feeding them to, I dunno, never hunted anything like this.

Comment

I can't believe there isn't a way to BBQ them....

I will be through there next April, I might have to find out...
                Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

I have killed several wild hogs. The only things I have ever heard about being careful of is during field dressing and skinning you should use latex gloves. The meat should also be frozen for 30 days before eaten and a meat thermometer should be used to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. Feral Hogs are carriers of many diseases. Included are Swine Brucellosis, Pseudorabies, Tuberculosis, Hog Cholera and Trichinosis . Bear carry a lot of the same stuff. You don't have to take my word for it, info is available on-line as well. I will tell you one thing, I started using gloves due to the hog hunts and now use them all the time. It is nice not having to scrub my skin off trying to get dried blood off my hands! Have fun!
                  It's not difficult to surmise how we here feel about NS Officials; and my own proclivities are, well-known and often-lamented facts of union lore.-Alexander Supertramp
                  sigpic
                  Eventus stultorum magister.

Comment

Great thats the info I was looking for.

Comment

Oh and I forgot. I would be damned if I left the meat in the field. It is very good. One thing, get the balls of fast and after you do that put on a clean pair of gloves to do the rest of the gutting.
                      It's not difficult to surmise how we here feel about NS Officials; and my own proclivities are, well-known and often-lamented facts of union lore.-Alexander Supertramp
                      sigpic
                      Eventus stultorum magister.

Comment

I have eaten feral hog. it's just a leaner pork IMHO. now, Javelina is another thing. I've tried that twice & it tasted like ass both times.
                        -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

There was a show on TV some time back called "The Hog Bomb" or something like this.
                          Talked about the wild hog explosion that has happened in the states over the past 20 or so years.

In many places (states) they have a "shoot on site" law for them.
                          When I was a teen we had a small wild hog problem here, and the hunters did the problem correct and ended it quickly.
                          I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

Comment

When discussing the taste of this and that, I have found that all meats tend to taste like whatever the owner of said flesh had most often to eat. If you ever drank milk that you yourself drew off a cow, you know that cows who eat wild onions give oniony milk. And that makes oniony butter, and so on. So wild or feral pig might be lean, farm raised pig might be a bit fatter, and Javelina? Well, what do they eat? I've noticed this grass fed beef that is coming available tends to taste a bit more like home raised beef. Corn fed is sweeter, but corn is mostly sugars so that 'splains that. Gras fed should aged a bit longer in the fridge before freezing and it will sweeten up enough to do the job. I wonder if feral pig meat can be doctored up, or does it even need it?
                            sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
                              When discussing the taste of this and that, I have found that all meats tend to taste like whatever the owner of said flesh had most often to eat. If you ever drank milk that you yourself drew off a cow, you know that cows who eat wild onions give oniony milk. And that makes oniony butter, and so on. So wild or feral pig might be lean, farm raised pig might be a bit fatter, and Javelina? Well, what do they eat? I've noticed this grass fed beef that is coming available tends to taste a bit more like home raised beef. Corn fed is sweeter, but corn is mostly sugars so that 'splains that. Gras fed should aged a bit longer in the fridge before freezing and it will sweeten up enough to do the job. I wonder if feral pig meat can be doctored up, or does it even need it?
                              Javelina really aren't considered hogs. Peccary is what they are. they have a big musk gland in their back & that is what makes them hard to eat I would guess. feral hogs are just free roaming stock with genetics mostly identical to the ones you find in the grocery store. ANY wild game meat has to be well field dressed & cooked or you risk disease. deer, whatever. I have found that the quicker you get that meat quartered up & refrigerated the better it will taste. a lot of people like to let their deer hang for a day or two. not me.
                              -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Working...
                              X