CPU gauge is pegged at 100%

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU gauge is pegged at 100%

New here. Since coming on here my CPU is showing 100% usage almost all the time. Is there something with this site causing it or coincidence and something else is going on?

I have done a security update, scan, defrag, CCleaner clean-up. As soon as I log off the memory frees up and acts normal, log on and it starts again. I am on my 4th, 5th, maybe 6th log on, no change.

Everything is fine when I log off...doesn't seem to matter IE or FireFox..same response.

Any clues?

It's the work of the Devil!

Comment

Hmmmm

It does seem to be so. Ther's demons inside, I'm sure.

Comment

No problem here. I use 3 different laptops - all with CPU monitors - and never have that problem by just surfing the website. If it does happen, it is usually a background process or a browser hanging up on me.

The website really doesn't run anything that major - a little bit of java and ajax. But nothing that should give any modern browser fits.

Comment

Mine is fine with this site. The most it blips to is 4% then back to 0%

Comment

Hmmm

Well this is an older laptop, but it runs XP. I went back to IE6, too many problems with IE7. FireFox is up to 5.0. I dunno.

It now seems if I am on a particular page long enough, 4 or 5 minutes or more, it settles down after a fashion.

It did this once before, can't remember what was wrong. virus maybe.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyAxles
              Well this is an older laptop, but it runs XP. I went back to IE6, too many problems with IE7. FireFox is up to 5.0. I dunno.

It now seems if I am on a particular page long enough, 4 or 5 minutes or more, it settles down after a fashion.

It did this once before, can't remember what was wrong. virus maybe.

Thanks all.
              Maybe your old posting board gave you a going away present, who knows....

Comment

When I am not logged on, I have a "System Idle Process" that runs 92 to 97 % cpu.
                When I log on, System idle is 0, but "iexplore.exe" runs 92 to 97 %.

Comment

Check what services you are running. Chose start>run and type sysconfig. Click on the services tab. Check hide all microsoft services and see what's running. Also in vista's task manager there's a services tab and a button to take you to the management console for services. Use task manger to shut down the services you can recognise that you don't need running. Also I set up my startup to ONLY start windows, the networking and other things like that, and my protection. All other programs and functions I call up manually. A more radical approach is to clear your drive and start over. After you reinstall windows use the startupmonitor utility. http://www.yardlimits.com/forums/tec...ds-2008-a.html It'll help you control what goes into your startups when you install realplayer, itunes, java and the like and let you block them. Ccleaner also has a good startup tool. Go in there and knock off everything your computer doesn't need to start and run and connect.

Comment

Still extreme CPU useage

I went through and removed everything non-essential from the start menu.

For a moment I thought it was better...FireFox decided to perform an update and after that YL behaved better when opened in FireFox...for a while.

The older Son, an IT tech, can only say, "What do you need more than one window open at a time for?" (my grammar) I'm trying to tell him 94% or 98% CPU useage with one instance of a site being open is not normal. Then the blame is put on the site itself. I try to tell him I quit going to those "other" sites years ago, but you know how these computer tekkie geeks are. I had an uncle who worked with computers since day one and he always wanted to point the finger of blame at either my crappy computer or come off with the attitude: "What did you do to it now?" Never once do they actually try to discover what has changed...and I think, in their computer wisdom, they really don't have a clue but can't admit it.

Anyhow, here is what I discovered: in some screens, like when preparing to log in, the line representing the cursor seems to refresh something like ten times a second, but here in this box it appears to do so only once a second.

Still, something is happening so fast or so often that there is literally no CPU left over to perforn other functions.

Loading a page takes well over two minutes.

Just hoping someone has an idea. I really don't think it's the computer...I can have fifteen tabs open in FireFox or fifteen separate pages open in IE (6) and once they are loaded there is little problem...yes, there is more CPU useage, but there is enough left over so pages can be closed, refreshed, etc. fairly quickly. I am stumped...granted that doesn't take much, but I am.....:crossedlips:

Comment

I'm on an antique computer and have no problemos. :nerd:

Comment

Understood

Originally posted by Ghostrider
                        I'm on an antique computer and have no problemos. :nerd:
                        This laptop is four y.o. I think. I think that cursor thing is the key...it pulses (refreshes?) so fast it can hardly be seen. I've never seen one do that like that before.

Maybe I'll just leave YL open for several hours to see if something updates or finishes a process.

Huh, the cursor quit pulsing. CPU still at 100% +-, but I can slide the page now w/o waiting for screen to refresh. Maybe it is going away.

Comment

Hmmm. My just over 1 yr old compaq dualie runs like the blazes on this site, and the site behaves no different than any other. Have you updated IE to version 7 yet? I would remove firefox completely, including deleting the folders in program files and application folders in the user and admin profiles. Back up your bookmarks and use search to find all the folders, and delete them. Reinstall firefox and add the adblock plus and NoScript add-ons for protection, and also image zoom for viewing pics. I run w/ those protections all the time, and they keep the sites flowing, but you have to allow some of the scripts to run. Don't forget the latest java and flash. How does it run on IE?

Comment

Originally posted by MuddyAxles
                            I went through and removed everything non-essential from the start menu.

For a moment I thought it was better...FireFox decided to perform an update and after that YL behaved better when opened in FireFox...for a while.

The older Son, an IT tech, can only say, "What do you need more than one window open at a time for?" (my grammar) I'm trying to tell him 94% or 98% CPU useage with one instance of a site being open is not normal. Then the blame is put on the site itself. I try to tell him I quit going to those "other" sites years ago, but you know how these computer tekkie geeks are. I had an uncle who worked with computers since day one and he always wanted to point the finger of blame at either my crappy computer or come off with the attitude: "What did you do to it now?" Never once do they actually try to discover what has changed...and I think, in their computer wisdom, they really don't have a clue but can't admit it.

Anyhow, here is what I discovered: in some screens, like when preparing to log in, the line representing the cursor seems to refresh something like ten times a second, but here in this box it appears to do so only once a second.

Still, something is happening so fast or so often that there is literally no CPU left over to perforn other functions.

Loading a page takes well over two minutes.

Just hoping someone has an idea. I really don't think it's the computer...I can have fifteen tabs open in FireFox or fifteen separate pages open in IE (6) and once they are loaded there is little problem...yes, there is more CPU useage, but there is enough left over so pages can be closed, refreshed, etc. fairly quickly. I am stumped...granted that doesn't take much, but I am.....:crossedlips:

I'll put this as politely as I can. It is NOT the website.

1. I use at least 4 different computer systems to surf the website on a regular basis. All give minimal cpu usage after a page is loaded - page loads are also within one or two seconds.

2. I have checked the server logs and nothing out of the ordinary is affecting server cpu load and no database errors

3. Non of the other websites hosted on our server is experiencing any server lag or bottle necks.

4. You are the only one thus far having this problem (or expressing a problem) out of our over 20,000 to 30,000 daily visitors.

5. I am pretty anal when it comes to the coding of the website. When I add anything or update the coding, I always run the debugging mode to see if anything is hanging up. Sometimes things do hang up. I see it along with the vast majority of visitors here. They let me know in volume. It is pretty easy to track down bugs or hanging code when running the forum in debug mode.

Bottom line, I am confident the and website is running fine. (there are a few flash games in the arcade that I know are not working correctly)

Some common problems form the user end - older browsers, conflicting programs on their computers, corrupted browser files or add-ons. Outdated browser plug-ins. conflicting browser plug-ins. Net lag. Virus, worms, Trojans, ect.

Comment

This website pegs my CPU also. Guess that makes two of us.

Comment

Working...
                              X