Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Version of YardLimits: Questions Problems Comments etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Post. Yo Bro!

Complicated as hell process, but beginning to get SOME of the smiles to work. Had no idea we had so many smiles, over 900!! This will take a while.

Last edited by nsrlink; 11-03-2015, 09:15 PM.
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Failing to manage. Managing to fail.

Comment

Any chance on changing the default font to be like what was here before? Kindof nitpicky but I just think the serif font is ugly and harder to read. My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanzler90 View Post
          Any chance on changing the default font to be like what was here before? Kindof nitpicky but I just think the serif font is ugly and harder to read. My two cents.
          Do it yourself. Bottom left hand corner of any window. Change the dropdown menu to "Default vB5 Style".
          ---

Comment

Any word on the Tapatalk getting set up?
            "I HAVE MADE MY FINAL POST ON THIS FORUM. MY THANKS TO A FEW WHO HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFULL, HOWEVER I AM NOT GOING TO WASTE MY VALUABLE REST, READING AND RESPONDING TO "US vs THEM" VITRIOLIC PEOPLE."

Comment

Originally posted by Kanzler90 View Post
              I'm hopeful we can soon have a few more styles to choose from, including one with a larger font size. But, my admin account on the software doesn't allow me to go in and build a new template or modify an existing style. I've passed along the request for a larger font via a new style to the tech guy.
              Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnEasley View Post
                Any word on the Tapatalk getting set up?
                I did some reading on this & here's what I can tell you: Forum Runner (apparently) is owned by the parent company of those who make our forum software. So, Tapatalk competes with Forum Runner & given this version of the software we have, it is extremely unlikely Tapatalk will be supported or allowed. However, I have passed along the requests to activate Forum Runner to the tech guy & I'm waiting. Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but that's what I've learned.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post

I'm hopeful we can soon have a few more styles to choose from, including one with a larger font size. But, my admin account on the software doesn't allow me to go in and build a new template or modify an existing style. I've passed along the request for a larger font via a new style to the tech guy.
                  Thanks nsrlink, much appreciated! A quick positive, too - I love the quote notifications in your message box, very helpful.

Comment

I have several issues. First off, I would like to echo what others have said about News Feeds. I have blocked them and they still show up in my "Today's Posts" list. Hell, it DOMINATES my "Today's Posts" list. Next, there's no way to see what forum section a thread is in from the "Today's Posts" list. This is helpful because I can skip threads about rule changes on roads that don't concern me. Then, I get other threads that are blank. (see attached screen shot) When I try to click on them, I get nothing. When I click the first unread post button, it takes me to some message thing. Overall, the new layout is clunky. I've pretty much stopped visiting, which is really a shame as I used to get a lot of good info here.
                    People with rubber pockets will steal soup!

Comment

Originally posted by Neverhome View Post
                      I have several issues. First off, I would like to echo what others have said about News Feeds. I have blocked them and they still show up in my "Today's Posts" list. Hell, it DOMINATES my "Today's Posts" list. Next, there's no way to see what forum section a thread is in from the "Today's Posts" list. This is helpful because I can skip threads about rule changes on roads that don't concern me. Then, I get other threads that are blank. (see attached screen shot) When I try to click on them, I get nothing. When I click the first unread post button, it takes me to some message thing. Overall, the new layout is clunky. I've pretty much stopped visiting, which is really a shame as I used to get a lot of good info here.
                      Well....
                      I hate to tell y'all this, but my Admin Account on this new software doesn't allow me to go in & edit the settings such that News Feeds won't show up in "Today's Posts." I read HOW that can be done, but I'm locked out of it. I've asked the tech guy for several changes & haven't received a response. So, I asked the owners for some help. I was told the "upgrade" was expensive & essentially I / we're on our own for a while, make due. That was a little disheartening to hear, but I don't see the bills for this place. I did ask for the same permissions as the tech guy, so I could work on some of this stuff you all have asked for, but I haven't received a response.

News Feeds in "Today's Posts"
                      So.... today, I went in & "banned" the "News Feeds" user ID. I don't know what else to do. As far as I can tell, anything posted by "News Feeds" today, isn't showing up under "Today's Posts." It is a bunch of BS that the "Ignore user -News Feeds" doesn't work -or only works for a limited time & isn't permanent. Why it works only half assed, I don't have an answer. I know some users like the News Feeds, some don't. So, for now, until I can figure out something else, they shouldn't be showing up.

Blank Messages in "Today's Posts"
                      This is another POS "feature" of the new software. Apparently, when a user posts a visitor message for another user, the (blank) "heading" (if you will) it is showing up in "Today's Posts" but not the content. (This is what the picture you posted shows.) So, I thought the "visitor messaging" was turned off. I went back & think I have it turned off now. I have no explanation as to why any visitor message would show up under normal postings other than to say the new software is janky. If y'all continue to see this, let me know via this thread or via Private Message please.

Today's Posts (in WHAT forum??)
                      Again, there's probably a way to display from what forum the posts in "Today's Posts" are originating from, however I don't have access to make that change. The only "work-around" I can offer is if you're on a desktop & hover your mouse over the title, your browser may show you the complete URL of the link. I guess just look at that URL that comes up when you hover with your mouse & if it originates from a forum you're not interested in, by pass that one. I know this is of zero help to the mobile users, but it's all I know to tell ya.

Comment

I also want you guys to know, I too have issues with this software. Some aspects of it seem pretty neat, but on a lot of stuff, it is indeed clunky or the developers seemed to miss the boat all together (limited / no mobile support? Really? In this day & age??) You should also know that I've forwarded your concerns for resolution on all this stuff that I'm unable to resolve on my end with my somewhat limited permissions. I too wish these issues either a) worked to begin with or b) could get fixed / addressed in a timely manner. A lot of stuff hasn't been resolved through a) or b) and I'm sorry about that, but it's out of / beyond my control.

But like I've said, I don't get the bill for this place & the owners at GE&S have always been pretty good about owning the place & allowing a small group of us in insane asylum to actually run the asylum, while G&ES is for all practical purposes, hands off. I've always been (and continue to be) appreciative of that relationship since GE&S bought this place. So, I'm holding out hope that some things we have mentioned will get corrected on here, I guess it's just a matter of when.

I just hope y'all,
                        the users, without which there wouldn't be a "YardLimits.com -an online rail labor community," will hang around and stick with the site through it's growing pains & transition -or at least check in periodically to say hello & see if we've been able to make the site any more user friendly. I will post any updates or progress that I can to let you know what we've been able to implement via your requests.

Thank you,
                        NSRLink

Comment

I can report that effective today, the "Thread Icons" have been restored & are again usable.
                          These are the little icons you see to the left of *some* threads when viewing the topics in a forum.
                          See the screen capture below, these are the icons in the drop down list to the right of the message window with "No icon" displayed by default at the top.....

Last edited by nsrlink; 11-30-2015, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Is there a way to disable mobile view from a mobile device?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrconductor View Post
                              Is there a way to disable mobile view from a mobile device?
                              At least in my case, I don't think there is a separate mobile device page loaded on either Android or iOS. I have both. There is no m. in the URL and Request Desktop Site has no effect in either OS.
                              ---

Comment

In Android, the only way you can permanently set a desktop view is to root your phone, and then sideload an app that forces desktop view. Hacking is such fun.....white hat variety of course!
                                sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Working...
                                X