Website advertisements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website advertisements

Playing with the idea of running ad banners as a way to generate revenue for the server lease renewal in January. I have done this in the past with mixed results.

My thinking on this is that it may be an way for us to gain income for the server and lesson the need for community donations.

Now I am not a fan of websites with ads plastered all over. But if we could place a few banner ads while keeping the website still looking somewhat spam free, it may be worth the try.

I have some trial banners/ads up now. I tried to put them in places that didn't clutter the website.

What are all of your opinions on this? Are you all willing to give the ads a try to help offset the donations for the server lease? Or do you think we should stay ad-free and rely on community donations? The ads may bring in a bit of revenue. But we will still probably need a little community support in donations come server renewal time - just not as much as in the past.

Anyway, what are your opinions? Give it a try? Or scrap them and just ask for the community to step up starting in November to raise the funding needed?

Ads can't hurt.

Comment

I'll give extra for no ads... though if they stay where you have them, they are pretty unintrusive... still, I'll donate extra to not have them.
      Since their purpose is to generate revenue, how close were we / last year to reaching our funding goal? Did it go 'down to the wire, did we have more than enough, did it give you plenty of time to gather the funding? (I can't remember.)
      Am correct in assuming they don't generate money unless they're clicked on?
      Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink
        I'll give extra for no ads... though if they stay where you have them, they are pretty unintrusive... still, I'll donate extra to not have them.
        Since their purpose is to generate revenue, how close were we / last year to reaching our funding goal? Did it go 'down to the wire, did we have more than enough, did it give you plenty of time to gather the funding? (I can't remember.)
        Am correct in assuming they don't generate money unless they're clicked on?

I think we started our funding drive for the server renewal last year either in Mid November or December. We hit our goal within 30 days. The server renewal was $1,600. Our share was $800 with RunningTrades.com raising the other $800 in our joint fundraising effort. RunningTrades.com and YardLimits.com share the server.

This year it looks like we will need a total of $1,800 for the renewal. I don't know if it will be a joint effort with RunningTrades.com, if we will be responsible for all the renewal or a higher percentage.

We had almost $500 in donations this year - $350 of that coming from our recent drive for software renewal and the purchase of the search engine optimization package. The rest has gone for the upgrade to the professional versions of the photo gallery and web links section.

As I said before, I am not a fan of ads on a website. But I also know that it can be hard to raise the server renewal fees on donations alone. In the past, I have covered the server cost myself in years. We have also had CPA Insurance sponsor our site one year in return for banner ad placement. That income covered the server for a year. Last year was the first year for the community funding drive - it was a pleasent suprise to raise the fees from the community as fast as we did.

Comment

I don't mind the click it ads but those ones that pop up in your face automatically :thumpdown:

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostrider
            I don't mind the click it ads but those ones that pop up in your face automatically :thumpdown:
            I have yet to see one of those. You are only suppose to get those one time when you go to the main page. Do you get those on the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb
              Playing with the idea of running ad banners as a way to generate revenue for the server lease renewal in January.

I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE BANNERS?! DAMNIT!

I log in to check the boards at my in-laws house and what does everybody see me loading?

I can deal with some banner ads but fuck this shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner
                I THOUGHT IT WAS GONNA BE BANNERS?! DAMNIT!

I log in to check the boards at my in-laws house and what does everybody see me loading?

I can deal with some banner ads but fuck this shit.

:wink3:

I think I'll probably scrap those pop-ups then.

Comment

I have two ad systms working right now. I was planning on seeing which one was paying more. But looks like one of them doesn't follow the 'safe for work' rating I have set for the website.

Comment

I deactivated the one that displayed the pop-up ads and the adult website ads.

Comment

Trying a new full page ad from the one remaining ad network - adbrite - that I have left running. This one says it will only be family friendly ads. It is set to display 1 time every 6 hours to viewers. So it should be fairly unobtrusive for everyone.

This system allows any company or business to advertise with us solely by clicking on the 'Your Ad Here' link in any of the ad sections we have up. Otherwise network ads will be displayed in those spots that sort of match some of the keywords I put in the system. The network ads are 'pay per click'. A business that chooses to advertise in one of those spots on our site just pays a flat fee.

We will see how this goes.

Comment

With a little coding wizardry, I have coded the website advertisement to only display to guests or members that are not logged in.

Registered members will not have to view the ads.

This will probably hurt any potential ad revenue. So hopefully you registered members will step up come server renewal time and help us make up the difference.

I also disabled the add-on that limited guest viewing of the forums. Guests will be able to view the public boards and posts without viewing limits.

Comment

Update:

I have decided to change up a bit.

Unregistered Guests will see all the ads - banner ads, footer ads, full pages ads, and forum ads.

Registered members will see the banner ads and footer ads

Donators will see no ads.

Comment

seems like the page loads maybe a hair faster without the ads...
                            Only 511 ft lbs of Tq and only 1100 degrees EGT, damn, I need more fuel...

Comment

Originally posted by jetboater
                              seems like the page loads maybe a hair faster without the ads...
                              It should. Less to load.

Comment

Working...
                              X