Here's one for ya...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's one for ya...

Any ideas been kicked around about maybe having another spot or two on the board. Such as "The Maintainers Box" or "The Diesel House" or the "Carmans Shack" or maybe "The MOW Window" (catch the pun?)

I like comming here to escape from work with other people of less, equal or more qualifications. I think we all have more in common than we care to admit to, probly the nature of the work and the human mind.

Other than talking Agriculture, I don't have a life. I have had my feet wet in track, and carman mechanical before TY&E. It would be interesting if there was some discussion amongst all crafts. Maybe we would all learn something different or could be helpful to others in the same crafts but different parts of the country.

Just a thought, just throwing it out there.
    "There's a vacancy in your ass and my foot is looking for a room"

sigpic

I think something along those lines would be a great & welcome addition to YL as well... so long as every 3rd thread isn't allowed to be a "I just applied for a carman / service attendant / signal trainee / track laborer job, now here are my top 20 questions I have about the job I just applied for.
    Standard lengthy disclaimer / warning / terms of use: All postings by "NSRLink" are fictional, public information, for entertainment purposes only, should never be taken seriously, and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, ideas, or thoughts of any railroad carrier, person, entity, organization, or otherwise. By reading anything posted or associated with the user ID, "NSRLink," any entity agrees they shall not be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar. Parties or entities not agreeable to these "terms of use" are hereby required to block this profile "NSRLink" and agree to not read or view posts so they will no longer be offended, harmed, sad, defamed, inflamed, upset, mad, harassed, have their feelings hurt, or similar in any manner, and may do so via UserCP "Edit ignore List" & adding "NSRLink" to the list. Thank you & good day to you.

Comment

Show my vote in the affirmative for a shop forum or some such thing. BOK can be a mod!
      sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Up me one fro Maintainer section. I did some small work when at the valley. Mainly crossing inspections but still.
        Thick as Valve oil, Black, White, and Tuscan Red
        That's how thick the Railroadin' in my blood is!

Ich sehne mich wieder Meister der Iron Horse werden

Nothing about this is normal!

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

1/20/17

Comment

I think everyone knows that I absolutely love the idea. I would, however, like to know that these other crafts are well represented with the basic knowledge of their crafts.
          There are questions I have everyday that I would love to ask an electrician, machinist, track laborer, etc.. directly.

A good start might be to have other crafts start making threads in the Yard Office forum. You know, as a show of force.... I mean participation.

Just a thought. Take it for what its worth.
          All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Way back in the old days we had a very experienced machinist in here. But alas he's gone to another forum......
            sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyseeandoh View Post
              Way back in the old days we had a very experienced machinist in here. But alas he's gone to another forum......
              Is he retrievable or has he gone for good? I hope we're not talking about the same place.
              All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
                Is he retrievable or has he gone for good? I hope we're not talking about the same place.
                Forgot this was in the open forum, for a sec. Anyway, don't want or need him on YL.
                NS should not require warm up exercises. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down our bosses,knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing our luck.

Comment

Originally posted by batman View Post
                  Forgot this was in the open forum, for a sec. Anyway, don't want or need him on YL.
                  Thats what I was afraid of. Maybe getting rid of the mention is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by nsrlink View Post
                    I think something along those lines would be a great & welcome addition to YL as well... so long as every 3rd thread isn't allowed to be a "I just applied for a carman / service attendant / signal trainee / track laborer job, now here are my top 20 questions I have about the job I just applied for.

Fuck starting out in the yard office. Someone bang out a couple 2 or 3 sub sections and we'll see what happens. Have one for Carmen, Signal boys, track laborers/ machine operators, and one for the back shop/ house guys.

I want to hear about the apprentice who went to start the Mach 3 and shorted out the Jupiter system, or the new tractor inspector who derailed his hy rail in front of the roadmaster. Strange shit gone on in the field for some these crafts. Lets go, git er done.

sigpic

Comment

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by nsrlink

Originally posted by MidwestRail View Post
                      Fuck starting out in the yard office. Someone bang out a couple 2 or 3 sub sections and we'll see what happens. Have one for Carmen, Signal boys, track laborers/ machine operators, and one for the back shop/ house guys.

I want to hear about the apprentice who went to start the Mach 3 and shorted out the Jupiter system, or the new tractor inspector who derailed his hy rail in front of the roadmaster. Strange shit gone on in the field for some these crafts. Lets go, git er done.

Well what the hell boys? Lets get something going on these lines if this fucking place is going to survive. Quite a few seem to like it, lets git er done. Lets diversify, and give all different crafts a reason to shoo the shit. Lets git er up and running.
                      Put her right below the yard office on the heading. Then it'll be easy to get to.

Lets open her up, if it doesn't work, delete the sub threads or whatever they are called.

We can have FAQ above each sub division so people won't play the I just got hired now what game".

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
                        Thats what I was afraid of. Maybe getting rid of the mention is a good idea.
                        I think that it's this type of idea of "editable truth" that has many on here participating on that long thread. I can pick up the Carrier rags or go to Carrier web sites for edited "truth".

The hand of the moderator is best when heavily gloved.
                        Hire more Rons, not morons.

Comment

Originally posted by More Rons View Post
                          I think that it's this type of idea of "editable truth" that has many on here participating on that long thread. I can pick up the Carrier rags or go to Carrier web sites for edited "truth".

The hand of the moderator is best when heavily gloved.
                          That was said with no other intention but to avoid opening a can of worms that has nothing to do with what we have seen the the past few days. I meerly suggested this because I know how certain feelings are and how quickly this thread could turn into that one topic.

I also know that everyone's feeling can be healed. I am sure that if said person (I dont know who it is) wished to contribute to any thread with helpful knowledge, they would not be refused.

I am new at modding and have admitted many times that my fingers tend to type faster than my brain can moderate itself. In reality, I do agree with you and everyone else that heavy handed moderating makes for a very lonely site.

Comment

Whatever happened to this idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrconductor View Post
                              Whatever happened to this idea?

The lines that contain the threads, example "BNSF", "KCS", "CP", "General Discussion" each cost about $1500.00 to open. If we had 3 extra "dealies" one for the three hard labor crafts it would cost $4500.00 Appealing for stimulous money to activate these potenetial new sub forums was denied by the federal govt. So here we sit.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X