Current Events

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Events

Since this came up in another forum, I will repost it here as this seems to be the relevant location.

It seems there is apparently no decorum whatsoever in Free for All and that trying to discuss religion or politics in any meaningful way is a waste of time and energy as the children end up taking over with their name calling and vulgar juvenile displays. The rules say it is allowed, so be it.

Thus my question. If there is a place on this site for people with no class and the ability to attack at will in any thread, then where is the section where religion and politics can be discussed by those who actually want real discussion?

I thought the desire here was to improve Yardlimits and not degenerate it, so if your going to appeal to the lowest common denominator with Free For All, then where do you appeal to those with reason and meaningful thoughts on a subject and can civilly disagree? By taking away Current Events rather than punishing those who broke the rules all that was done was to lower site quality.

It is your site and you created it and can obviously do as you wish, but are you a person of your previous indicated desires for this site or was that just bluster for the moment when Current Events was imploding due to a specific group of individuals?
    No, I like it the way it is. Closed.
    42.86%
    No, because it will turn into another Free For All.
    9.52%
    Yes, but moderate every post
    4.76%
    Yes, but suspend or ban those who break the rules.
    42.86%
    sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
    ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Simply put, NO.
    A few ruin it for everyone, so it is just the Free For All section to use now.

I'll add that in all my years here, very seldom has the CE board ever been truly civil, there has always been issues.
    Just depends on how much time passed between major flare ups.

After a while it just gets old babysitting those that care to act like kids!
    I see the "moron meter" pegged you! It never fails...EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by throttle View Post
      Simply put, NO.
      A few ruin it for everyone, so it is just the Free For All section to use now.

I'll add that in all my years here, very seldom has the CE board ever been truly civil, there has always been issues.
      Just depends on how much time passed between major flare ups.

After a while it just gets old babysitting those that care to act like kids!

Then why in the world do you have RULES? What is the point of them if you were not going to suspend or completely outright ban people as the RULES say you will for violating them. At this point Free For All really truly is anarchy with no real RULES there regardless of what is posted. One cannot even start their own thread there without juvenile delinquents coming in and turning it into an insult fest.

After a while it just gets old babysitting those that care to act like kids![/
      Then ENFORCE THE RULES and long term suspension them or ban them as the RULES say will happen.

At this point the kids are running the joint anyway with their behavior, so what babysitting is going on? You just penalize those who obey for those who cannot by eliminating a CIVIL forum rather than eliminating the troublemakers.

Why even had mods? You now have some of them furthering the problem anyway although the suggestion was made they broke no rules which is correct as to the wording of the rules but pretty much eviscerate the spirit of them and their position.

It is your site and your toy and you can build it or break it as you wish but I would suggest at this point the latter is occurring. It is too bad as I believe there is a lot to offer here but that is being diminished by aquiescing to the reprobates.
      sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

Comment

TFB, your post looks like a good PM for the Administrator. maybe you should try that. there are actually some productive discussions in FFA, whether you realize it or not . if you have a problem with the attitudes of some in there then maybe the best thing to do is just stay away. if you do decide to come back & engage the "children" as you call them, you should try to realize that by calling them that you are participating in name calling yourself.
        -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Hog&Tow View Post
          TFB, your post looks like a good PM for the Administrator. maybe you should try that. there are actually some productive discussions in FFA, whether you realize it or not . if you have a problem with the attitudes of some in there then maybe the best thing to do is just stay away. if you do decide to come back & engage the "children" as you call them, you should try to realize that by calling them that you are participating in name calling yourself.

Why does the issue need to go behind closed doors? I know that is your modus operandi but not mine. I am hardly the only one who thinks this but one who is willing to open it up to the light of day. You are one of the primary instigators and you have the gall to come here and further attempt to stir the pot. I am not surprised considering the source.

I do not have a problem with attitudes but with children who have no idea how to have a civil discussion where disagreement is possible without resorting to the endless parade of ad hominem comments.

As for there being productive discussions in FFA, many of them start out that way but then you or one of your juvenile delinquents degrade it into nothing more than junior high banter.

I shall stay away as I have already said because the inmates are running the asylum and you happen to be one of them albeit not as bad as you have been. As to what you mistakenly misconstrue as me being part of the problem by calling you and the others children, what else would you call it? There is no nicer word and it is accurate for the situation that is ongoing on FFA whether you like the truth of the word or not. Maybe if you utilized reasoning and thought skills more rather than your ability to insult others you might actually see this.

My point is I could care less what I am called. What I hope for is meaningful dialogue without insults on political and religious topics but with some in FFA that is beyond possible and a reason for my appeal to open back up Current Events where individuals like you would have to cease and desist your at times trollish and puerile behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by TFB View Post
            Since this came up in another forum, I will repost it here as this seems to be the relevant location.

It seems there is apparently no decorum whatsoever in Free for All and that trying to discuss religion or politics in any meaningful way is a waste of time and energy as the children end up taking over with their name calling and vulgar juvenile displays. The rules say it is allowed, so be it.

Thus my question. If there is a place on this site for people with no class and the ability to attack at will in any thread, then where is the section where religion and politics can be discussed by those who actually want real discussion?

I thought the desire here was to improve Yardlimits and not degenerate it, so if your going to appeal to the lowest common denominator with Free For All, then where do you appeal to those with reason and meaningful thoughts on a subject and can civilly disagree? By taking away Current Events rather than punishing those who broke the rules all that was done was to lower site quality.

It is your site and you created it and can obviously do as you wish, but are you a person of your previous indicated desires for this site or was that just bluster for the moment when Current Events was imploding due to a specific group of individuals?
            [x] Alternative Handling

Comment

if you had been paying attention instead of slinging more mud at me as you just did, you would know that I had nothing to do with the closing of Current Events. I hadn't posted there in two weeks when it got shut down. I saw what was coming. if you really don't care what names you are called, then what difference does all this make? I am convinced that CE in a public forum will just wind up like it was when it got closed. the FFA is the best place to discuss these political things. most sites have a forum similar to that,except without the freedom we enjoy.you have been posting over there a long time & as far as I'm concerned you are welcome to come & play. just don't call other people names & then whine about it when it happens to you.
              -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

Some apparently have no concept at the difference between insults and the proper application of a term with regard to behavior and action in specific situations. If I generally said someone were an idiot and left it at that without saying why I specifically believed that to be the case about them, then they would be correct but the assertion now is wholly incorrect.

As for some thinking CE would end up imploding again, they probably believe that because while they may not have been the prime reason, they certainly were one of the relevant cause and effect individuals and they do seem to have a hard time at controlling themselves as witnessed here where I was not even addressing them.

FFA may at one time have been a fair place to discuss politics or religion but it is no more. Rarely now can one even state a reasoned and supported position there without being subjected to stupidity that some individual is trying to foolishly masquerade as logic. For some to state a contrary opinion would be wholly disingenious as the facts are all over multiple threads in that forum.

CE on the other hand would be a threat to some and those who behave as they do. If it were reopened and the rules strictly enforced, many of the FFA hooligans, whom I would nicely call knuckle-draggers due to many of their putrifying comments, would likely have to stay out of it because of the inability to articulate a position without reverting to the usual incivility. Some might actually have to research and think out a position rather than pulling out the vulgarisms playbook as usual lest they get the boot.

Comment

"stupid,knuckle dragging, vulgar, idiots & hooligans" I rest my case.
                  Last edited by Hog and Tow; 07-20-2009, 05:49 PM.
                  -sigpicLet's All Hunch!

Comment

You know, I have read this and watched this thread progress. I have come to the conclusion that no matter how you turn it or put it, wether you ban certain members over their remarks or statements, opinons are just that, when you start trying to edit out whom may comment in certain posts and what they say, you turn it into a big group stroking each others ego's. While I too would like a forum to state my opinions and ideas while not resorting back to kindergarten level chats, I am a realist, we could ban ghostrider for his opinions, but in a short time another ghostrider would show up with a different name, same as TFB, hog, momster excetra. We have been running these forums in different forms and names finally resulting in yardlimits. While admiting the forum is not perfect to any of us, its the best forum we could come up with in the years we have worked at it. The former CE board not only resulted in hard feelings on the open forum, mods were recieving tons of IM's from posters, posters were trying to put mods at each other in odds over their points of veiws, crying to another mod when they got infractions and eventually bans. There was more thought going into the overall descision of closing the CE and moving it to the FFA board. I say its in the best interest of this forum to just leave it in the FFA and move on. You want to have rational talks ignore the kiddie responses and don't stoop to their levels. You know whom they are, that goes for both sides. You can also use the ignore feature and only discuss with people whom do chat on your level. Just my .2cents.
                    Last edited by ghostrider; 07-20-2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Anyway, this is supposed to be a railroad board. If you want to discuss current events, there are plenty of boards devoted to that.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
                        You know, I have read this and watched this thread progress. I have come to the conclusion that no matter how you turn it or put it, wether you ban certain members over their remarks or statements, opinons are just that, when you start trying to edit out whom may comment in certain posts and what they say, you turn it into a big group stroking each others ego's. While I too would like a forum to state my opinions and ideas while not resorting back to kindergarten level chats, I am a realist, we could ban ghostrider for his opinions, but in a short time another ghostrider would show up with a different name, same as TFB, hog, momster excetra. We have been running these forums in different forms and names finally resulting in yardlimits. While admiting tghe forum is not perfect to any of us, its the best forum we could come up with in the years we have worked at it. The former CE board not only resulted in hard feelings on the open forum, mods were recieving tons of IM's from posters, posters were trying to put mods at each other in odds over their points of veiws, crying to another mod when they got infractions and eventually bans. There was more thought going into the overall descision of closing the CE and moving it to the FFA board. I say its in the best interest of this forum to just leave it in the FFA and move on. You want to have rational talks ignore the kiddie responses and don't stoop to their levels. You know whom they are, that goes for both sides. You can also use the ignore feature and only discuss with people whom do chat on your level. Just my .2cents.

You are correct about this to a point, but here is where I depart from your view. FFA is a closed forum where the general public, as it will, does not see or get to participate. It would be nice to have new participants thoughts and ideas with regard to politics and religion without having to tell them they have to endure listening to that noise. Locking the door and telling people you are in and have to endure the shrillness or out and you do not get to play seems like playing to the lowest denominator.

In the end, it is not my site so the owner can do as he wishes regardless but I do believe to cut off your hand to spite your foot is not the answer. You do not eliminate the problem by moving it to a locked room that might as well be Waycar Lite.

Comment

pics of g/f or GTFO!!!

OP: srsly you would get run in any other site with a FFA type of forum... i'm a registered member of a number of forums and YL.com is by far one of the least frequented by the aggro-monkey trolltard's.

my advice to you is find another forum to espouse whatever views you'd like. this site belongs to and is managed by the owner and moderators. <== period!

take a run by www.GoDaddy.com and then www.Joomla.com (terrific portal community site free source software) and launch your own version of a CE type of site... and run it as you see fit.

who knows??? you could become a favorite site of many and make buh-zillions of dollla's like matt drudge www.DrudgeRpeort.com or www.Politico.com ... hell you may even be a www.PerezHilton.com !!!

anyhow, knock off your complaining as it obviously isn't getting you anywhere... become the Lutheran to the Catholic community - and launch your own rail site... perhaps... www.Railtards.com ?

give YL.com a run for their moniez!

LOLZ@U

yw

Comment

Originally posted by TFB View Post
                            You are correct about this to a point, but here is where I depart from your view. FFA is a closed forum where the general public, as it will, does not see or get to participate. It would be nice to have new participants thoughts and ideas with regard to politics and religion without having to tell them they have to endure listening to that noise. Locking the door and telling people you are in and have to endure the shrillness or out and you do not get to play seems like playing to the lowest denominator.

In the end, it is not my site so the owner can do as he wishes regardless but I do believe to cut off your hand to spite your foot is not the answer. You do not eliminate the problem by moving it to a locked room that might as well be Waycar Lite.
                            On that view, we do not advertise this site as a political debate forum. This is a railroad site, while we try to please the majority, we know we can not please all. The reason its behind closed doors is because we don't want people to come here and see the level of conversation has dropped too. But while still allowing you to voice your views. Remember this is a rail forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
                              On that view, we do not advertise this site as a political debate forum. This is a railroad site, while we try to please the majority, we know we can not please all. The reason its behind closed doors is because we don't want people to come here and see the level of conversation has dropped too. But while still allowing you to voice your views. Remember this is a rail forum.
                              Well I agree this is a railroad forum and if that is the standard to measure whether there should be religious or political discussion, then there are about 14 other forums on this site that have nothing to do with the railroad either and should be closed.

As to the other comment about if I do not like it stop complaining, do you take your own advice with regard to the railroad or are you just another hypocrite who wants it both ways on their side? Using your logic, you should leave the railroad and find another job or start your own railroad company. Sounds really rational huh? Glad to see you are all about people airing it out whether you agree or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X