Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posting pics with your post.....

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    When you hotlink an image from somebody elses server that they pay for, the image shows up here but it puts an increased load on their server. If they have a small hosting package then you might be incurring them real fees with repeated hits to their server over and over again to grab that image instead of copying it and posting it here.

    news: get barney - dslreports.com
    Is there any etiquette to hotlinking images from third parties? | Ask Metafilter

    PLEASE save yourself and anyone who might view the image the hassle and just host whatever you want to display on Photobucket instead of hotlinking images.


    As I said... When I start getting tons of hits for one image only and nothing else, I change the image, and put raunchy porn in its place.
    Oh ok. Thanks. So basically, I need to stop what I have been doing.

    You are refering to right clicking an image, copying, then pasting it into a post. Right?
    I have done this several times and you can still click the picture and it takes you to the original link.

    I did not realize the trouble it causes. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

    Comment


    • #17
      Its better to host images someplace you have control over them... Rather than hotlinking...

      Like I said... You hotlink to another server and the image may change to something you dont want to display
      ][ ][ ][ %

      Comment


      • #18
        Thanks The One,
        All. either copy and paste a pic for posting or save to file and upload.
        NS should not require warm up exercises. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down our bosses,knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing our luck.

        Comment


        • #19
          This has been like a Public Service Announcement.


          "and now we know" GI Joe, I think....LOL
          All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by batman View Post
            Thanks The One,
            All. either copy and paste a pic for posting or save to file and upload.
            I think what you'll find when wanting to copy a pic from another site and post it on YL is:
            You may not be able to copy the pic, but, you can usually save the image as...
            so, if you cannot copy the pic, save it on your desktop and simply make that pic an attachment to your post. should work, most of the time.
            NS should not require warm up exercises. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down our bosses,knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing our luck.

            Comment


            • #21
              A person with a website that doesn't want their images hotlinked can easily stop it with a few lines of code in their htaccess file.

              Comment


              • #22
                As a person who knows just "what I need to" about computers and the web, I appreciate the knowledge. I had no idea that doing that was putting a strain on someone elses server.
                All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I have an add-on on Firefox that has proved very useful for me, "Rehost Image". If i see an intresting pic on the net that i wanna include with my posts, i just right click it and choose "Rehost Image and Copy to clipboard", and in a second it will be rehosted to imageshack and i can just paste it on with my message without stealing bandwidth from some random website.
                  Last edited by Vic_Vega; 11-10-2009, 09:09 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Zeb View Post
                    A person with a website that doesn't want their images hotlinked can easily stop it with a few lines of code in their htaccess file.
                    So that makes stealing their bandwidth right?


                    Do YOU as a website operator want to fight against questionable content that your members hotlink to when the original image was something else?
                    ][ ][ ][ %

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                      So that makes stealing their bandwidth right?


                      Do YOU as a website operator want to fight against questionable content that your members hotlink to when the original image was something else?
                      If questionable content is posted in any form on here, we deal with it.

                      As for hotlinking, that is up to website operators, in my opinion, whether to allow their stuff to be hotlinked. Some operators even like it because it can rank their site even higher in search engines.

                      It's very simple stuff for a website owner to stop hotlinking.

                      [ame=http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+stop+hotlinking+with+htaccess&ie=u tf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a]how to stop hotlinking with htaccess - Google Search[/ame]

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zeb View Post
                        If questionable content is posted in any form on here, we deal with it.

                        As for hotlinking, that is up to website operators, in my opinion, whether to allow their stuff to be hotlinked. Some operators even like it because it can rank their site even higher in search engines.

                        It's very simple stuff for a website owner to stop hotlinking.

                        how to stop hotlinking with htaccess - Google Search
                        The folks who like it to pump up their ratings no doubt have already provided themselves with a mondo server farm eh?
                        sigpic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ "Come and get them" Leonidas I to Xerxes, at Battle of Thermopylae

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          What do you do if the icon in the red circle.is not available?
                          If i am wrong about my God i have only wasted a life time. If you are wrong about your god you have wasted an eternity.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by knowbody View Post
                            What do you do if the icon in the red circle.is not available?
                            It won't be if you're using forum runner. You either have to paste the link the ways the app tells you or use your browser to access the picture link icon. If it's not showing using your browser then you probably have browser issues.
                            All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Vic_Vega View Post
                              I have an add-on on Firefox that has proved very useful for me, "Rehost Image". If i see an intresting pic on the net that i wanna include with my posts, i just right click it and choose "Rehost Image and Copy to clipboard", and in a second it will be rehosted to imageshack and i can just paste it on with my message without stealing bandwidth from some random website.


                              Testing out the ReHost add-on.

                              EDIT: Yep, shows the picture location being the default location the rehost add on uses.
                              Last edited by BadOrderKing; 08-10-2012, 08:20 AM.
                              All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                BOK, lets do some more "test" pictures like her................
                                "There's a vacancy in your ass and my foot is looking for a room"

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X