X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeb
    started a topic Website redesign and overhaul

Website redesign and overhaul

I am working on a complete new site design.

The idea is to combine the forum with a new frontend. I have done this before with the same frontend, but different forum software.

The frontend software has really matured and is probably one of the best things out there for a content management system for a website.

The first stage will be to get the frontend layout complete and then migrate it to YardLimits.com and bridge it to the forum so they share the user database. I will also be working on customizing the layout style of the forum to match the new front end.

After that framework is in place (frontend with matching bridged forum), I will try and integrate a social networking component we have purchased with our YardLimits community funds into the CMS. Once I do that, I will disable some of the old forum add-ons (blog, photo gallery, etc) that are already in the new social network component to eliminate redundancy.

The time frame on this will be 1 to 2 months (I hope).

You can view the progress right now on the test site - Welcome to the Frontpage

I am also putting up the community donation bar again for this project. I do anticipate expenses for several new components, having the forum template professionally redesigned to match the new frontend, and professional customization of the new social networking component. I think expenses should stay under $1000

I have the basic working layout of the frontend functional and am changing the template to fit our needs - ie changing it from a demo music site to a rail labor site.

Please give me your feedback on the basic look of the design. Don't pay attention to the content as that will all change.
    Last edited by Zeb; 04-23-2009, 07:49 PM.

• BadOrderKing
    replied
    Well I just clicked the link and looked at the new front end design...... VERY NICE!

Shucks, We are starting to look all professional and shit....LOL

Leave a comment:

• Div375
    replied
    So no more red?

Leave a comment:

• gsxr1000mxz800
    replied
    Originally posted by jetboater View Post
    Zeb, what am I supposed to do while I am at work tonight?
    hello? what every other hard working american does. sleep. or sneak off and have sex. either one is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jetboater
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeb View Post
    I will be loading the new frontend tonight. Bookmark YardLimits.com - An Online Rail Labor Community to get to the forum while this process is going on. The Yardlimits.com link will not be working correctly while I load everything.
    Zeb, what am I supposed to do while I am at work tonight?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I will be loading the new frontend tonight. Bookmark YardLimits.com - An Online Rail Labor Community to get to the forum while this process is going on. The Yardlimits.com link will not be working correctly while I load everything.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ghostrider View Post
    Okay here we go again, scroll down to bottom of page, see where it says yardlimits with that little arrow thing, click it so it'll scroll, hit yardlimits 2 for the blue.

Ghost, you will probably see all the styles while the rest will have the option between YardLimits and YardLimits 2. This is because you have admin rights.

The new blue style is loaded as YardLimits 2. It has larger fonts for those that have trouble reading the default font size.

Leave a comment:

• ghostrider
    replied
    Originally posted by Max View Post
    I did the same thing G...had the red bar, it worked like a charm, now its gone and I'm Golden again.
    Okay here we go again, scroll down to bottom of page, see where it says yardlimits with that little arrow thing, click it so it'll scroll, hit yardlimits 2 for the blue.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    I did the same thing G...had the red bar, it worked like a charm, now its gone and I'm Golden again.

Leave a comment:

• Max
    replied
    Look again....theres no "red bar" option now....just default, yl # 1 & yl # 2

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The new blue style is just about done. The designer must have been reading here as well. He has increased the font size for the optically challenged.

I think I did select a good designer for this project. He jumped right on the new blue style and churned it out today. He understood what I was going through.

Leave a comment:

• Div375
    replied
    Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
    "Control" and "+" zoomed in on this site for me. I use Explorer also.
    Sweet! Thanks! See, there is sooooo much that i still do not know about these computers. Thanks again B.O.K.

Leave a comment:

• BadOrderKing
    replied
    Originally posted by Div375 View Post
    I'm still using Internet Explorer. Does that make me technologically obselete? Went to Page in the upper right hand corner. Clicked text size. Clicked on "larger" because "largest" was just way too big on the other sites. Like I said, it seemed to make all other sites bigger but not this one. Like I said, that's okay cause I changed the colors back to the original scheme. Thanks for trying though.
    "Control" and "+" zoomed in on this site for me. I use Explorer also.

Leave a comment:

• Div375
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeb View Post
    Don't know what browser you are using, but firefox changes the font size very easily here. From the firefox menu, go to 'view' and select 'Zoom'. Make sure that 'Zoom Text Only' is checked, and then Zoom in and Zoom out to get the size you want. Very simple.
    I'm still using Internet Explorer. Does that make me technologically obselete? Went to Page in the upper right hand corner. Clicked text size. Clicked on "larger" because "largest" was just way too big on the other sites. Like I said, it seemed to make all other sites bigger but not this one. Like I said, that's okay cause I changed the colors back to the original scheme. Thanks for trying though.

Leave a comment:

• TFB
    replied
    RICO....RICO.......over here and bring the .....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X