Website redesign and overhaul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website redesign and overhaul

I am working on a complete new site design.

The idea is to combine the forum with a new frontend. I have done this before with the same frontend, but different forum software.

The frontend software has really matured and is probably one of the best things out there for a content management system for a website.

The first stage will be to get the frontend layout complete and then migrate it to YardLimits.com and bridge it to the forum so they share the user database. I will also be working on customizing the layout style of the forum to match the new front end.

After that framework is in place (frontend with matching bridged forum), I will try and integrate a social networking component we have purchased with our YardLimits community funds into the CMS. Once I do that, I will disable some of the old forum add-ons (blog, photo gallery, etc) that are already in the new social network component to eliminate redundancy.

The time frame on this will be 1 to 2 months (I hope).

You can view the progress right now on the test site - Welcome to the Frontpage

I am also putting up the community donation bar again for this project. I do anticipate expenses for several new components, having the forum template professionally redesigned to match the new frontend, and professional customization of the new social networking component. I think expenses should stay under $1000

I have the basic working layout of the frontend functional and am changing the template to fit our needs - ie changing it from a demo music site to a rail labor site.

Please give me your feedback on the basic look of the design. Don't pay attention to the content as that will all change.
    Last edited by Zeb; 04-23-2009, 08:49 PM.

Where the money is being spent or will be spent.

Purchased thus far:

JomSocial Pro- Social Networking Component - cost $149
    JomComment Pro - Commenting System Component - cost $35
    MyBlog Pro - Blog System Component - cost $45

Still to be purchased:

Web Designer to rework forum template to match new front end - est cost $300

Web Developer to customize JomSocial Component - est cost $500

Comment

Hey Zeb, you might need another $1000 to keep just the NS forum afloat, with all the hits on it and stuff, keep up the good work, I threw in some for you!

Comment

Originally posted by nscarlcamp View Post
        Hey Zeb, you might need another $1000 to keep just the NS forum afloat, with all the hits on it and stuff, keep up the good work, I threw in some for you!
        No kiddin. I wish that same activity and organization that is on the NS forum would spill over to the other Class one boards. It can't be that NS employees own more computers than the rest of us.

Comment

I do have the new blog component and comment system installed on the test site. Haven't messed with the settings on the blog system though. Comment system works well. It will allow site visitors to add comments to any news articles, blogs, etc posted outside the forum or on the frontend. You can see the comment component in action HERE

Comment

Having fun, are we Zeb? Keep up the good work, and don't let it get TOO big.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb View Post
              No kiddin. I wish that same activity and organization that is on the NS forum would spill over to the other Class one boards. It can't be that NS employees own more computers than the rest of us.

No, but maybe they figured out some way to get the styrofoam cup and string to connect to the net and this site...........
              sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
              ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Zeb View Post
                I do have the new blog component and comment system installed on the test site. Haven't messed with the settings on the blog system though. Comment system works well. It will allow site visitors to add comments to any news articles, blogs, etc posted outside the forum or on the frontend. You can see the comment component in action HERE

Very nice comment section. It very much resembles what I see on many newspaper websites.
                sigpic"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America 's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America 's debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that, "the buck stops here.' Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."
                ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Comment

Originally posted by rrbob View Post
                  Having fun, are we Zeb? Keep up the good work, and don't let it get TOO big.
                  I don't know if I would describe it as fun, it is a lot of work. But I do enjoy getting to know the software again. It has really evolved and has become very advanced. Many large corporate and business websites use it now.

The idea is to make the site big - combining a news magazine frontend, professional Social Networking functions, and our already established forum into one seamless Rail Labor website to take our community to a more professional level - at least appearance wise .

Comment

A lot of work, sure, but I'll bet you enjoy doing it. I can remember when railroading was a lot of work, but we sure had fun doing it. Now that I am retired, I've gotten back into gardening, also a lot of work but fun.
                    By not letting the board get to big, I just meant don't let it outgrow YOU. Don't let it get to the point that you no longer enjoy it and it becomes a chore.

Comment

Originally posted by rrbob View Post
                      A lot of work, sure, but I'll bet you enjoy doing it. I can remember when railroading was a lot of work, but we sure had fun doing it. Now that I am retired, I've gotten back into gardening, also a lot of work but fun.
                      By not letting the board get to big, I just meant don't let it outgrow YOU. Don't let it get to the point that you no longer enjoy it and it becomes a chore.

Ya, I know what you mean. When it gets to the point that I no longer enjoy it, then it will be time to move on.

Many of us have recently been discussing ways to take this site to a new level. The moderators are really stepping up and discussing ways to grow the site in membership and features. Not just any features, but features that could have real benefit for Rail labor. From putting together eNewsletters to let rails know what is going on throughout the rail industry, advanced ways to advertise the website, and increasing member participation on the forum boards.

Comment

Are all the photos in the Waycar section going to get lost in the transition like it did the last time the site changed?
                        It's not difficult to surmise how we here feel about NS Officials; and my own proclivities are, well-known and often-lamented facts of union lore.-Alexander Supertramp
                        sigpic
                        Eventus stultorum magister.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Supertramp View Post
                          Are all the photos in the Waycar section going to get lost in the transition like it did the last time the site changed?
                          The forum is staying the same and not being moved. The only thing that will change with the forum is the style template (color scheme and layout) to match the new frontend.

Comment

I do like the news and how it fades from story to story. The cursive "Yard Limits"... ehh.... cute?
                            two questions;
                            1. are you selling ad space on it as this link has?
                            2. will everything open in a new window or is that just part of the test phase?
                            All postings by BadOrderKing are public information, works of fiction, sometimes resembling the rants of a madman and in no way should be construed to represent the positions, views, or thoughts of any particular railroad carrier. No one listens to him anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOrderKing View Post
                              I do like the news and how it fades from story to story. The cursive "Yard Limits"... ehh.... cute?
                              two questions;
                              1. are you selling ad space on it as this link has?
                              2. will everything open in a new window or is that just part of the test phase?
                              We will probably sale ad space on the front page and some of the other sections. Any revenue generated will go into the leasing of the server, any needed software or work done on the site, and a Fallen Brothers Fund that a few are working on to set up.

All internal links will not open up a new window when the site is done and in place. It is only the test site that does that currently.

Comment

Working...
                              X