Go Back   YardLimits.com > Hobbies and Leisure > Tech Zone
Connect with Facebook

Tech Zone Computers and Electronics. Problem with that computer or just want to chat about the latest technology - join in.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
LG1966 is on a distinguished road
Default Mac and BNSF emulator

I'm buying a new iMac desktop running leopard. Is there anyway to get the BNSF emulator to work on this? On our old iMac, I could access it through OS 9 classic and IE, but I don't think classic is supported on the intel processors. I've read the Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and newer are supported browsers, but not sure if it works on the Mac. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Downloads: 9
Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,266 Posts
Mike Honcho is a jewel in the roughMike Honcho is a jewel in the roughMike Honcho is a jewel in the roughMike Honcho is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG1966 View Post
I'm buying a new iMac desktop running leopard. Is there anyway to get the BNSF emulator to work on this? On our old iMac, I could access it through OS 9 classic and IE, but I don't think classic is supported on the intel processors. I've read the Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and newer are supported browsers, but not sure if it works on the Mac. Thanks.
I believe as long as you can use java it will work.
There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:22 AM

LG1966 is on a distinguished road

Just to let BNSF folks know, Firefox did work on the new iMac, running the Leopard operating system, to open the emulator. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 PM

mjg is on a distinguished road

I cannot get it to work on my new macbook.Any suggestions? I have mozilla and after I supply my b number and password it just stops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Anyone have any suggestions or know someone who could help?
The Following User Says Thank You to mjg For This Useful Post:
MOWBill (07-15-2011)
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mike Honcho is a jewel in the roughMike Honcho is a jewel in the roughMike Honcho is a jewel in the roughMike Honcho is a jewel in the rough

Make sure to use this link for the emulator: BNSF Emulator
There is something I want to get off my chest. It's about that summer, when you went away to community college. I got an offer to do Playgirl Magazine, and I did it. I did a full spread for Playgirl Magazine. I mean spread man, I pulled my butt apart and stuff. I was totally nude. it was weird, I... I mean you probably didn't hear about it because I went under the name of Mike Honcho. But I just wanted you to know that. If you can hear me, if it got into your brain somehow. That I spread my buttcheeks as Mike Honcho.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Honcho For This Useful Post:
Mammoth (01-15-2011)
Old 07-04-2008, 11:55 PM

mjg is on a distinguished road

Hey Mike,
We got it to work with this last link you gave us! Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

MJG
Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'm glad I could help.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 PM

lncsbrn is on a distinguished road
Default Snow Leopard

I am running snow leopard (OSX 10.6) and the only browser that will load it is the beta 3 of opera. Once i had upgraded firefox and opera 9 would no longer load it. It's pretty sad that the bnsf IT department keeps their emulator site so out of date. 98% of all computers purchased over $1k were macs and 60% of all notebooks at any price were macs in the first quarter of 2009. it's not apple's fault either that this won't work. 90% of what makes a site work in a browser is the site itself, not the browser. A site needs to be designed for a browser, not the other way around. Whoever is in charge of making this work at BNSF needs to retake a website/java programming class and get their s**t together. If the trend continues as it has for the last 5 years, windows based pc's will be a very small minority within a few years. anyone tried the emulator on windows 7 under iE8 yet?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Retired Member

Downloads: 12
Thanked 1,205 Times in 447 Posts
Hobo has a spectacular aura aboutHobo has a spectacular aura aboutHobo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lncsbrn View Post
I am running snow leopard (OSX 10.6) and the only browser that will load it is the beta 3 of opera. Once i had upgraded firefox and opera 9 would no longer load it. It's pretty sad that the bnsf IT department keeps their emulator site so out of date. 98% of all computers purchased over $1k were macs and 60% of all notebooks at any price were macs in the first quarter of 2009. it's not apple's fault either that this won't work. 90% of what makes a site work in a browser is the site itself, not the browser. A site needs to be designed for a browser, not the other way around. Whoever is in charge of making this work at BNSF needs to retake a website/java programming class and get their s**t together. If the trend continues as it has for the last 5 years, windows based pc's will be a very small minority within a few years. anyone tried the emulator on windows 7 under iE8 yet?
We're all probably lucky that the emulator exists at all!

Granted, the IT department may have been lacking in their effort to update the emulator but the ability to access the emulator at all may well have been only intended for use on the BNSF intranet, not the internet.

When BNSF and the other Class I's get around to spending a few more bucks we may see another approach to the "Emulator" but I wouldn't count on that for quite a while.

What's needed to encourage development is for all of us to push our Unions through our Local and General Chairs demanding an upgrade from the carriers to improve this technology and keep up with emerging PC platforms, PDA's, and Cell phones.

The current Emulator is simply a Java Based emulation provided by Webconnect to run an IBM 3270 terminal and ISPF on our PC's in a window. Born in the early eighties, IBM developed VM for OS/370 and OS/390 with CP/CMS and ISPF. ISPF (Interactive System Productivity Facility) are the panels you see when you run the emulation, a clunky 80 card column interactive display. Developed by IBM's z/OS systems, ISPF remained stuck in the punch card era though other GUI's may have been in existance. These mainframes were not for pretty pictures but for processing large volumes of data. The GUI interface came about because users preferred an intuitively clean display, not a fill in the blank, page through countless options interface with stiff interaction.

Because ISPF was part of the IBM development of hardware/software and their OS's the ability to interact with the machine is limited to their structure and design effort. Anything that would translate between ISPF and HTTP would be a major software development effort. There are probably other avenues availible through IBM or other developers that would give us a cleaner interface but would cost a great deal of money, something I think the carriers are not willing to do right now.

I would rather see a major rewrite along with new hardware that speaks HTTP for a cleaner quicker interface for direct access through our browsers such as IE, Mozilla, etc. But then, that's just wishful thinkin'.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:23 PM
YL Chief Pontificator

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 7
Thanked 8,852 Times in 5,286 Posts
jonnyseeandoh is a jewel in the roughjonnyseeandoh is a jewel in the roughjonnyseeandoh is a jewel in the rough

How, I pray you say did you get Snow Leopard?